Tuesday, February 1, 2011

REMBRANDT: THE NIGHT WATCH AND OTHERS



NIGHT WATCH

This is a large heavy diorama (5 ft wide, 4 ft high and 1 ft deep) and is one of Rembrandt’s most famous paintings and represents a group of civic guard of musketeers led by Frans Banning Cocq.  These civic guard groups were formed to protect cities in Holland from the Spanish. 

 I have substituted our dog, Jack, for the poor dog painted in the original.  I am also in the diorama but only partially visible behind the arm of the man in black on the right side of the diorama.

I took this photo at this angle so the depth of the diorama and the heavy lumber needed to support it could be seen.  

ANOTHER VIEW OF THE NIGHT WATCH



NIGHT WATCH ON A LARGE SCREEN


People don't usually paint on sun screens made of plastic "bamboo" but I gave it a try.  The screen is 6X8 ft and is difficult to get a good non-glare photo, especially for a poor photographer like me.  But, here it is.





THE CONSPIRACY OF CLAUDIUS (JULIUS) CIVILIS
BY REMBRANDDT (6 ft wide, 4 ft high and 1ft deep)

Claudius Civilis was the leader of the Batavians who were the original inhabitants of Holland. This painting shows Batavian chiefs swearing an oath to fight for their liberty against the Romans.  My favorite thing about Claudius is his taste in hats.

This is another heavy one, notice the 2x4 carpenter's horses which support it.



Someone who sorta looks like me was at the table that night as can be seen from this angle:


My head is a little large and I seem to be very short but still it could have been me.



The Conspiricy Painting is a good example of chiaroscuro style of painting which is characteized by strong contrasts betwen light and dark.  One of the most striking example of the style of painting is shown in Rembrandt's painting, Peter's Denial show next.

Peter's Denial is a smaller diarama (Size: 2.5 ft wide, 3.5 ft high and 10 in deep) but makes a strong statement.


No comments:

Post a Comment